Thursday, June 2, 2016

Goodbye Black Box Theater

     I've been acting at the Black Box Theater for almost two years now, 2/3 of the time it's been open, and it's been the best theater I've ever preformed at. The people are great, the director is great, and even though it's a small theater, it's a community. The people that come there have been to many many shows there and know the actors. I've seen people many times, talked to them, gotten to know them. All without knowing their names. But the theater closed on the last day of May.
     I'm going to really miss it. I mean, I'll still get to see the people I've preformed there with, I'm not letting go of them anytime soon! But the theater itself, it has a feeing to it. It's MY theater and my home. But not anymore.
     When I first walked in I was scared to death. I hadn't met any of my other cast members before, but most of them were old friends. I just sat in a corner, thinking that it was going to be awful, that I could never get to know these people. The girl who I was paired up with for a skit who complained about her brother the whole time we were playing. Her brother who copied everything me and his sister did for every game the whole day. The guy who awkwardly stared at me as I searched the whole theater for scissors. The huge guy that I thought hated me. The girl next year that was so much different than I was who I thought would never speak to me. The stage manager who was a sweetheart, but again, so much different than I was.
     All these people that I thought could never care about me, would never even remember me once I was gone? I now call them some of my greatest friends.
     And the people that worked at the theater... I can't begin to explain how wonderful it is to walk into a place you love, just to be greeted right away buy the people behind the counter, and then the guy in the tech booth. Then the play starts and you know everyone on the stage.
     I have felt more at home in this place in the last two years than I have at any other place ever. I'm going to really miss it.

2 comments:

  1. I feel really bad, you've been in so many plays with the black box!
    Only being in one play was enough for me to know that the black box had such a home feel to it, and I'm not sure I'll ever find a theater, or anywhere, that is as amazing as the black box theater.
    Bye black box! We'll miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I miss it a lot, and even if there's another theater soon, nothing will ever be the same as the Back Box Theater.

    ReplyDelete