Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving


I watched a video at school the other day, and although most of the video was him walking into the sunset as Christian music played ( I'm sure you've all seen the kind of video I'm talking about), he did make one very good point. If all we had today was what we thanked God for, what would we have?

It's actually hard to thank God for something. It is for me at least. It's so much easier to ask him for something new then to thank him for something we already have. And sometimes it's hard to see what we already have.

As a whole, we are a privileged country. But there are people out there who are in more pain than we will ever know. And it's hard to see than pain as something real, or that person as someone we should thank God for. How many times have you driven past a homeless man on the street and tried to avoid looking at him? ( and I could rant for hours about how much I hate the word Hobo but don't worry, I won't.) How many times has a friend, family member, or even complete stranger told you about the sadness in their life and you've avoided the subject? How many times has a classmate been loud and irritating so you distance because you don't want to be seen with them?

I know I'm guilty of all three of those things.

What if instead of looking the other way we said a prayer as we pass him and thank God for a wonderful human life? What if we took the time to tell that person that we're sorry and ask them if we can help, and then thank God we're able to help someone, even if it's in a small way? What if we helped that classmate by calmly helping him with work or talking to him, and then thank God for another person around us?

Of course, don't ever help someone if you think it's the wrong or dangerous thing to do! And this post is not aimed at anyone in particular! I just believe that if we tried to thank God a little more, things would be so much nicer.


So I've been looking back over my last few posts, and boy have I been preachy! I had a bunch of blog posts written out and I'm just trying to get them all up, and apparently they're all me preaching. Sorry, I promise I'll stop telling you all what to do soon and we'll go back to the ol' theater posts again.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the posts!! (This is a comment on the last few because I missed some!) You're right, girls seem to have a lot of power as far as ruining ones day or making it better.
    I'm guilty of all those things too. Thank you for the reminder! Often I forget to thank God for people and I dwell to much on how I want them to change or what ever.
    Your posts are not preachy! ;)

    ReplyDelete