Thursday, April 30, 2015

Book review: Cinder



Cinder by, Marissa Meyer

4.5 stars

Goodreads  summery:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


My note: Doesn't sound very interesting right? That's what I thought when I put it on hold at the library. The summery doesn't do it justice trust me.

What I liked:
     I read this book about a month ago and I have wanted to do a blog post ever sense, but I've been scared to because I wasn't sure how to capture just how great this book was in a blog post. I only made it a 4.5 instead of a 5 because I know how it compares to the other books in the series.  But here we go.....
     The plot line is wonderful. It's based loosely on Cinderella, but the author added twists that I would never have thought of. I have no idea how she made Cinderella being a cyborg and the villains coming to Earth from the moon work but she did it and it was amazing. Whenever something bad happened in the characters lives than it hit me really hard, the books Prince Charming was a really interesting character, not the normal nothing prince who all the girls have to fall in love with because reasons at all, and I could really imagine living in the world the story was set in even though it was dystopian. I liked how even though it's a fairytale novel, the author set it up so it could easily be fun for both guys and girls unlike most novels like this one. The story really pulled me in and I couldn't set down the book for the rest of the day. And best of all is it's a NaNoWriMo novel which all my readers should appreciate!

What I didn't like:
     There wasn't much in this book that I didn't like, but there are a few things. At a few points in the book the characters would do something that drew me away from the story and didn't make any sense. Then I had to spend a few pages getting back into the plot line. A few of the plot twists were taken lightly by the main character and that seemed to twist my view of who I thought the character was.

Am I glad I read it:
      Yes. These are my new favorite books, and I don't change favorites very often. I rarely get so wrapped up in a book that I physically miss the characters when I'm done and practically start crying when I see how long the wait list is at the library. This book made me cry and laugh. I stayed up the night of reading it for hours rereading my favorite parts and going back over the plots in my head. I read a lot, and so it's hard or a book to make a lasting impression on my lately, and this one I've been obsessing over for months. There are still three books in the series that I still need to gather up the bravery to write a blog book review for, so beware! You should definitely clear a week to read these books and gather them all so you can read them one after another without stopping, that's what I did.

2 comments:

  1. Is it clean? Because I've seen this book and have really wanted to read it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one is totally clean. The second and third ones have some slightly inappropriate jokes, but I really didn't notice them at all they're so small and not very wrong. No scene scenes or anything in these three, and not really in the prequel, just closer. The prequel Fairest has a sentence or two that weren't nearly as bad as most other things but still to far in my opinion. It was only a sentence though. I don't know where your bar is on these sorts of things, but mine is very high and I had no problem with it at all. You should read them, they're amazing!

      Delete