Sunday, December 7, 2014

On fairy tales.

Grimm Fairy Tales and Hans Christian Anderson , some of the creepiest things on earth. Children cutting off there fingers, shoes that make you dance until you die,  even Cinderella is scary. But these are children's story's, little children. People used to read these to there kids before they went to bed. But now you never hear them. I mean, I haven't heard Hansel and Gretel in years! But there are a few story's you can't get rid of. Cinderella, Snow White, etc. So people change them, rewrite them. Take the Little Mermaid. In the original version, she had to kill the prince to keep herself alive, then couldn't do it and turned into sea foam. I didn't know this for years, I thought she defeated the villain, and then married the prince. Nope.
Sisters Grimm is one of my favorite series's. Retold Tales, from a tween girls point of view. They have dragons, witches, princes, everything. But the super creepy ones got cut out. BaBaYaGa was the  scariest story in there. It's creepy, but nothing compared to  Bluebeard. Bob showed up for a minute, but only to show off. I still luv these books, but I wish they had kept in more. As a younger kid, there version of Red Riding Hood creeped me out, but nothing in comparison.
And then out came Disneys "Frozen". I luuuuuv this movie, it's one of my favs! But the inspiration for this movie is The Ice Queen. Ever read it? It's about an evil queen who freezes a little boys heart, then takes him with her to keep him evil. His best friend go's to get him, meeting robbers daughters, talking animals, etc. she manages to get him back, but to only after killing many people and hurting many more. Remember- this kid can't be more than 10. This sound anything like the romance filled/nobody dies not even the villain/everyone's happy at the end Disney movie? I didn't think so. Sure, frozen hearts, but much less scary. 
I found this a while ago, and it made my day. It was so scary, it kept me up half the night. The author kept all of the creepiness, and only changed it a little to fit the storyline. It was amazing, and I'm recommending it to all. 


So here's my question for all the who have stuck with me. Do you think people should change these story's to make them less creepy? I don't, it changes the meaning, and the whole story. If you don't want your kids to read these sorts do things, don't read it to them, don't change them to make them all happy and fluffy. Ta!


3 comments:

  1. I read a fairy tale once that was super obnoxious. The man had to find something, and in order to get it he had to do something else and to do that something else he had to do another thing. And another thing and another thing and another and another and another for a LOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo............ooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time! It was quite boring!

    ReplyDelete