Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Cress book review



Cress by Marissa Myer
five stars

Goodreads Review:
 In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.


What I liked about it:
      It was a take on my favorite fairytale ever, Rapunzel. I was able to relate to all of the characters in some way, even the robot ship! I winced through a couple of the scenes because I could feel the struggles that Cress was going through. My standards for guys was lifted even higher by the male lead who I think is my new favorite guy in a book ever, right up there with Finnick Odair. All of the characters were so human, not perfect a the time, but not evil creatures that never do anything right. I could even see the good in the villain, and it's rare that someone is able to create a villain that is both someone you dislike and understand at the same time. The book mostly focused on Cress and Thorne, but the author also had chapters in the four characters from the other books and really pulled the story together. The ending was a cliffhanger that makes you want to read more, but doesn't make you want to throw the book along with the author against the wall and scream at it. I really loved this book and I read it at least 5 times just in the few weeks I had it checked out from the library.

What I didn't like about it:
     Well, a few of the supporting villains ( is that even a term, it should be!) didn't seem to be very realistic. There were a few very very very slightly off color jokes, but not many.

Am I happy I read it:
     Oh ya, this is my new favorite book in my new favorite series!


No comments:

Post a Comment