Saturday, December 19, 2015

Old friends vs New friends

     One of my favorite books when I was little was Friendship According to Humphrey, and I still vaguely remember a couple of the quotes from it. One that's really stuck with me was something about old friends being gold, but new friends being silver. I've remembered that quote a lot lately because of how my life's been going.
     I have a lot of great friends that I've had for five or more years. And then I have the group of new friends that I've known for less than a year for most of them. And they're a lot different. I'm definitely not saying that either of these groups are better than the other, I love all my friends. But they're different.
    The group I've known the longest are mostly all near my age, either 15 or 16 now. My newer group of friends are mostly a lot older than me, a few of them are as old as 18. Both groups are crazy and I love it, But the longer known group of friends make more jokes, well the new group are more physical about how crazy they are, there's a lot more pain with this new group! The group I've known for longer are all girls, with the guys not being that close of friends. The new group is both girls and boys.
     But almost none of the people in these two groups know people from the other group. And neither of them are better. But it's weird how things change isn't it? When I was 9 I would never have wanted friends than were three years older than me. But now I do have friends like that, and I love them.
     My old friends know me better, and I wouldn't give them up for the world. If I went up to one of my new group friends and said "Argentina has good beef" they wouldn't get it. But I love all my friends, even though they are very, very different.

2 comments: